Yield: 6 portions
1 ea Lamb rack, chimed, split
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, ground, to taste
3 tblsp Olive oil
4 oz Dijon mustard
1 tblsp Garlic, minced
8 oz Breadcrumbs, fresh
3 tblsp Shallots, minced
4 oz Merlot
6 oz Brown lamb stock
6 oz Chicken stock
1 tsp Thyme, minced
4 oz Butter
1. Preheat oven to 450-degrees.
2. Season lamb racks with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan over high heat.
4. Sear lamb racks for approximately 1-2 minutes on each side until thoroughly browned.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and brush the topside of the meat with mustard.
6. Mix the garlic and breadcrumbs and pat gently on top the mustard until the top of the meat is coated with breadcrumbs.
7. Place the pan with the lamb racks in the oven and roast until the desired internal temperature is attained.
8. Remove from oven, and rest while sauce is prepared.
9. Discard all but 1 tblsp of the fat rendered from the lamb.
10. Place the pan over medium-high heat and sauté the minced shallots for 1-2 minutes or until they are translucent.
11. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the lamb stock, chicken stock, and thyme.
12. Reduce the liquid to half its original volume.Remove the pan from the heat and finish the sauce by whisking in the butter, a little at a time, until a smooth emulsion forms. Season with salt and pepper