Traditional Shepherd's Pie as cooked at STLCC Culinary Program:
15 oz Lamb stock (or light beef stock)
1 oz Dried wild mushrooms
1 ½ lb New red potatoes, cut into medium dice
4 ea Garlic clove, minced
8 oz Sweet butter
2 oz Heavy cream
1 oz Scallion, finely chopped
1 ½ tblsp Parsley, chopped
To taste Salt and black pepper
4 oz Onion, medium dice
6 oz Button mushrooms, sliced
1 ½ lb Ground lamb
1 oz All-purpose flour
4 oz Dry sherry
1 tsp Dried thyme
` 15 oz Corn kernels
- Bring the lamb stock to a boil and add the wild mushrooms. Remove from heat and let rest.
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender, remove from the heat, and mash until smooth.
- Stir into the mashed potatoes, one third of the butter, heavy cream, green onions, and parsley. Mix until the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated. Reserve.
- Heat half the remaining butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat and sauté the onions and button mushrooms for 3-4 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add the ground lamb and continue to cook until it is browned.
- Strain the wild mushrooms from the stock and finely chopped. Reserve the stock and mushrooms until needed.
- Sprinkle the flour over the lamb mixture and stir until incorporated,
- Cook while stirring over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the sherry and the reserved wild mushrooms and stock.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Add the thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the remaining butter in another sauté pan over medium heat and add the corn kernels. Sauté the corn for approximately 5 minutes or until tender. Season.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into a slightly greased baking dish and spread mixture evenly on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread the sautéed corn kernels over the lamb.
- Spread the potatoes over the corn kernels. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until lightly browned on top.