Notes: *Add other aromatics to the sachet, if appropriate, such as dill (seeds or fresh stems), fennel seeds, or tarragon.
Source: Culinary Fundamentals
Copyright: Prentice Hall
4 fluid ounces Canola oil or clarified butter
11 pounds Fish bones
1 pound White mirepoix, thinly sliced
10 ounces Mushroom trimmings (optional)
4 quarts Cold water
1 quart Dry white wine
1 each Sachet d'épices, *see notes
Salt (optional), as needed
1. Heat the oil or butter in a large rondeau and add the bones, white mirepoix, and mushrooms (if using).
2. Cover the pot and sweat the bones and mirepoix over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes until the mirepoix is soft and the bones are opaque.
3. Add the water, wine, sachet, and salt, (if using) and bring to simmer.
4. Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, skimming the surface as necessary.
5. Strain the stock. It may be used now or it may be rapidly cooled and stored for later use.